Sunday, February 24, 2008

Spudster again!

We were blessed to receive another update from a traveling family: "I just wanted you to know that I have seen Spud several times. He looks great, just very shy around us. He is very loved and very cared for by the nannies. He seems very happy with them. I even saw him out playing in the courtyard with a ball and several other little boys around his age. He let me come up and talk to him today, just wasn't ready for me to give him a hug yet. But, I told him mommy was coming soon and the nanny understood me and told him, too." Isn't that fabulous?

WMWM is QUITE alarmed that it may be a soccer ball Spud is playing with in the courtyard at HOH. We are not a soccer family -- WMWM's theory on soccer is "it's not a sport if you don't use your hands." Of course, this is from a man whose theory on the Grand Canyon is that "it's just a big hole in the ground."


WMWM and I have been in negotiations about me going to Ethiopia before him and the kids to begin bonding with Spud. His concerns have included my safety and health. However, the possibility that Spud is playing soccer may have sealed the deal for me. WMWM has instructed me to pack a baseball. It's obvious where my heath and safety really rate, huh?

WMWM took a l-o-n-g time to warm up to this adoption thing (years and years), and when he finally agreed I was worried he was doing it for me. The day we received Spud's referral and saw his picture, WMWM declared Spud's middle name would be "Banks" after Ernie Banks of the Cubs. I wasn't worried after that.

Thank you ALL for keeping us in your prayers.

Peace.

5 comments:

Stacie said...

Oh get used to soccer - it is THE sport in Ethiopia! Don't tell anyone there that your husband doesn't like it! :)
I think it would be great for you to go early - and don't be too worried for your safety - we felt SO safe there! I'm going to email you...

Gretchen Magruder said...

isn't it amazing to see our families fall in love with the child/idea of adoption?! Going early sounds like a great plan!

LISA said...

Wow,going early would be wonderful!!Thinking about doing that ourselves,depending on the age of our referrals.The safety is an issue with us also,since going early we wouldn't be staying at HOH at first.

gigglechirp said...

hope you get to your boy soon! (and wish I could go with ya for a few days!) I'll hope to go early on the next trip - I never felt unsafe during our whole time in Ethiopia. Cannot wait to go back

Look forward to hearing some solid travel plans ASAP!

Jenni

Lisa said...

Hey there! I just got your comment on my blog, and now am very excited to begin following yours! Your children are beautiful!