Sunday, February 10, 2008

Responsibilities - Last part!

I have just a couple of random thoughts to wrap up this string of posts.

First, I know that just showing up at a church a couple times a month won’t integrate us into the life of its congregation. I do plan to become an active, contributing member of this church family and be about its work. Last Wednesday I began attending a Bible study, and I will be volunteering for a committee that is forming this month. (On a side note, I’m not one who often thinks she’s “heard” the Lord “speaking” to her, but He was screaming at me Wednesday to get my rumpus to Bible study. I have been telling myself to go for a couple of months now, but when Wednesdays rolled around, I always chickened out. I made every excuse to Him this Wednesday too, but He would have none of it. Thank you, Lord!)

Second, the pastor of this church embraced us whole-heartedly (literally and figuratively!) from the first second we stepped through its doors. After a few months of attending, I made an appointment to speak with him. I spilled our adoption story and explained our desire for Spud to grow up with strong, faithful people of color in his life. Then I asked if he would help us raise our son. He was affirming and encouraging and gracious. We spoke openly about adoption, race, raising children, and faith.

If you, like us, look out at your life and see only pale people gazing back, think about the message you’re sending to your child. Meeting new people and putting ourselves in new situations is often uncomfortable, but we need to get out there and do it. It is our responsibility, and it’s an amazing gift we can give our children and ourselves.

Peace.

1 comment:

Deedra Lynn said...

I love that you're so willing to thrust yourself into your world, even when it is uncomfortable and out of the norm. Your transparency and honesty on these issues, coupled with your desire to learn make you a great example to so many of us who are journeying this path...Thank you!