Saturday, January 26, 2008

Yearning for a Smile

The director of the House of Hope, Spud's current home, has said Spud "acts like a grown up boy." All the CHI families who have met Spud have described him to us as "serious." We are very fortunate to have several pictures of Spud, and he indeed appears to be intense.



There are no pictures of him smiling.

All day every day, I am yearning to see this child smile. I imagine myself tickling his tiny ribs and listening to him giggle. I imagine myself tossing him in the air and hearing him squeal with joy. I imagine myself blowing zurples on his beautiful tummy and watching him belly laugh like a child who doesn't have a care in the world.

But I must be cautious not to burden him with my yearning. I may need to see him smile and hear him laugh, but he may need to frown awhile longer. He may need a mama just to quietly hold him tight. To wipe his tears and stroke his cheek. To be a calm rock while he grieves.

I hope I can be just what he needs.

Peace.

9 comments:

Erica said...

Your making me cry. :( You will be just what he needs. You've thought it through, your anxious for this sweet boy to be home. When I'm there I will hug him and tell him his family is coming. I'll even try to get him to smile. Praying for travel confirmation for you soon!!

Erica said...

Oh and I forgot to tell you - the shirt Ermias is wearing in the second picture if the same shirt Silas wore in the first few pics we saw of him. :)

LISA said...

A good cry for a Saturday...
Can't wait till you have him in your arms.

Gretchen Magruder said...

oh, he's going to blossom in your arms!!

Anonymous said...

Have you gone thru court yet?
If not PLEASE remove your childs pictures...

If you have gone thru court then congratulations & you might want to make that clear on your blog.

Good luck in your journey!

Don't Mess With Mommy said...

Oh yes, we were approved to adopt Spud on January 18. Thank you for your concern.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations & good luck again!

He is truely lovely and I can easily imagine a big smile on his serious little face. :-)

I'm sure you'll see it soon!

Noelle said...

Do not fear! Brian assures me he saw Ermias smile while we were there in Ethiopia. Tsegay was holding him and flying him like an airplane up in the air. And Ermias had some almost smiles for Brian. He loved the slide and smiled then, too!

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Your little boy is gorgeous!
smiles,
jen