Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." (Louisa May Alcott, 1873)

It's true, my brain is turned, but I'm sure my fondness for books is not the sole cause of my compromised mental state. I am passionate about reading, however, and I am passionate about sharing my love of reading with children (mine and anyone else's I can get my hands on). That's a large part of why I became a teacher.

Reading to your child is good for his heart and good for his mind, and the benefits last a lifetime. Read this for details.

With the addition of Spud to our family, I have a new excuse to buy more books. I had built up quite a library of children's books for Tater and Racer, but I passed many of them on to the kids' teachers, our school library, and younger cousins as my kids outgrew them. Each book had memories attached, and it hurt every time I let one go (I did save the ones they loved the best to pass on to their children).

As I build Spud's collection, I am especially aware of my responsibility to choose books that feature characters of color. From time to time, I'd like to share books we've added to our home library. I hope you find a new family favorite among them. Also, I would love it if you would share your treasured titles with us.

Charlesbridge publishers is a great resource for books featuring children from around the world, and I added several to our library. Best of all, many of the titles are "Global Fund for Children Books," which means part of the purchase price will be used to "support innovative community-based organizations that serve the world's most vulnerable children and youth." All babies love to look at pictures of other babies, and your whole family will love looking at the beautiful cuties in Global Babies. This board book features gorgeous babes from 17 different cultures with simple text.

To Be a Kid is a book that celebrates that kids are kids, no matter where they live. Your family will love the pictures of kids around the world playing and having fun. Animal Friends is another book featuring kids around the world, this time with their favorite animals. Too cute.

I'll tell you about the other titles I ordered from Charlesbridge in a future blog.

But now, let's all go and read our kids a good book.

Peace.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

We have Global Babies too - we love it! Micah's fav right now is "My Little Miracle." It has pictures of kids from different races and has a rhyming, rhythmic quality to it that he loves. I highly recommend it. :)

Paul Mager said...

Thank you for this post. I will definitely have to check these out!

I was just reading one of your recent posts about being snuggled up in your bed with your kids and it made me think about where I am right now. For some reason, waiting for this new baby has me very sentimental and wanting to squeeze and kiss my kiddos all the time (much to the chagrin of my 8-year old boy!). So, I'm with you on this... :o)