Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Cloudy Days

Lest my last post make it sound like the last 3 weeks have been all sunshine and roses, let me say that I could only write that post after having a few consecutive good days under my belt.

Our first couple weeks home were hard. The exhaustion from the travel and emotional roller coaster of the trip settled on me like a black fog. Many days I wept. I mourned the passing of many things -- my relatively unencumbered lifestyle, spending time with my husband and older kids, the childhoods of my older kids, my personal space, just to name a few. Spud needed me 24/7 (of course), and I was sure I wasn’t meeting his needs. Guilt. Sometimes I didn’t like him. More than a few times I thought we had made a mistake.

Though a couple weeks seems short, it felt like they lasted forever, and I am only now able to put that time in perspective. Looking back, I should have expected and been better prepared for the stress of those first weeks. I would have let go of the fantasy of falling in love instantly with my child and being the perfect mom and wife. I continue to struggle with the guilty feelings of not doing enough or being enough for Spud and the rest of the family, but I try to remember to give myself a break. I try to remember in those moments of despair that the moment won’t last forever.

I know for many people the black fog lasts longer than a couple weeks, especially if the family is dealing with attachment issues. My heart goes out to these families.

I’m reading The Post Adoption Blues: Overcoming the Unforeseen Challenges of Adoption by Foli & Thompson. I wish I had read it before I left; it really speaks to the feelings I’ve had since we’ve been home. Even if you’re not prone to getting the blues as I am, the book will help you set realistic expectations for that much-anticipated time when you bring your child home. Seriously, go get a copy.

Peace.

6 comments:

LISA said...

I KNEW you would be going 100 miles an hour,trying to do everything 100% I knew you would be trying to do too much! Silly girl!Relax! I'm learning from you on how to do this!(and I want to relax!!)

Gretchen Magruder said...

thanks for the book suggestion!!

Brad and Fran Hoagland said...

I will definitely be buying that book. Thanks for your honesty on the situation. Not everyone would want to admit that its not always "living happily ever after" once your child is home.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are posting again. It's good for all of us.

Annie said...

Thanks for the book suggestion and for your honesty.I have heard again and again to not expect that instant magical connection overnight. I think it's hard not to.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I know you're doing great :)

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

I just stumbled on your blog and you voiced my own thoughts and feelings perfectly during those first weeks. We are 6 weeks in, and things are definitely much better, but your post hit the nail on the head.