Friday, April 18, 2008

He's Sleeping!

Spud is napping, giving me a chance to update here.

I was going to give a recap of our trip to Ethiopia, but it was so personal that it's difficult to express. Also, every time I try to put into words what we experienced there, it ends up sounding like trite generalizations -- i.e. the people are beautiful, hardworking, friendly, etc. Romanticizing the country doesn't do it or our children justice. I will say this, the city is beautiful and terrible, and I won't ever forget it.

Soooooo...I'll give you a Spud details!

Where to start? He's much funnier than we had anticipated, and he knows how to work it! This is what we call "the look."


When he's being impish, he'll look at you out of the corner of his eyes while turning his head all the way around. It may not sound funny, but it is HYSTERICAL and we laugh so hard at him, which he loves.

He is loving and will throw his arms around you and kiss you smack on the lips! He loves being tickled and tossed in the air, and he loves his brother and sister.



What have been the challenges? Well, the language thing is pretty huge, though Spud manages to communicate quite effectively with us by grunting, squealing, and pointing. He will even grab your legs and attempt to drag you to where he would like you to be. Napping has been an issue of course -- sometimes we get one, sometimes two -- but never, ever do we go peacefully. But the hardest thing for me has been feeding this child.



We took a trip to an adoption doc in Chicago on Tuesday, and he told us Spud is still suffering the effects of malnutrition (he is 5th percentile for height and 5th for weight). He needs lots of protein and is supposed to be on PediaSure for the next six months. Unfortunately, he refuses to get near the PediaSure and seems to want to eat only noodles and oatmeal. This is stressing me out bigtime, and I would love any advice.

Daddy did bring home some ice cream bars the other night, which at first we couldn't figure out.



But then we decided they were pretty yum!



Other than that, Spud's just hanging out doing your basic kid stuff.



Everything considered, it's all good in Spud Land. Thanks for checking in!

Peace.

11 comments:

Stacie said...

I understand the sleep issue. We deal with that at our house too. I keep telling myself this too shall pass, won't it?

Stacie said...

Oh SO cute! Love the look!

Doesn't yogurt have protein? Will he try that? My friend's little one had a hole in his heart (yes George - sound familiar?) and he wasn't growing or developing, but also wouldn't eat. After his heart surgery, yogurt was the only thing he would eat consistently and it helped him get back to normal. (Well sort of - he is still a skinny minny, but healthy :)
Oh - and I just remembered cheese too! Does cheese have protein?

Annie said...

Loved the update! He's such a cutie! Oh, I just couldn't wait to hear how you are doing! How are big bro and big sis doing with having a little brother?

So glad you have your darling boy home with you!

hugs to you--

Brad and Fran Hoagland said...

Thanks for the update! I am so glad you all have him home. Wish I had some advice on the eating. I stress out over my 4 year old living off of crackers and mac n cheese. Does he like peanut butter? Thats loaded with protein. What about eggs? For a while, my son loved scrambled eggs. Now he loves boiled eggs. But it goes in phases. Good luck with the eating. Thanks for the update!

LISA said...

Love hearing about how he is doing with the fam!
He looks like he's growing a bit.Hope he starts eating better!!
One of these days i really would like to hear more of your trip.So i don't get shell shocked when we go!

Anonymous said...

he is too cute!

can you make pedia sure milk shakes? or try to sneak some into his oatmeal or something?

Jill said...

I know they make protein powder to add to foods...not sure if they are safe for kids or not (mostly found in health food/sports stores). Maybe you could mix some in his oatmeal.

Forget the napping issues...I think that is a losing battle!

Ann said...

You son looks so happy, best wishes to all of you. Can you freeze the pedia-sure like the icecream popcicles that he likes and put on sprinkles or syurp?

Laura said...

What a beautiful family-- Spud is precious and my children and i have enjoyed the pictures that you posted from Addis Ababa! Best of luck with the eating and napping!

Mom to many said...

Oh - he is simply the cutest! They say you have to introduce new foods to your child 10 times before they will eat it... that seems like a lot, but I do think it works. Be patient and keep feeding him noodles and oatmeal I guess. The sleep issue - tell me about it. I always end up sleeping before my 3 year old does.

Deedra Lynn said...

So good to hear about him and how you are settling in together. I love "the look" - that picture paints a thousand words about his personality...too cute!!!