Friday, May 30, 2008

Not Feeling My Blog

I've been MIA, and I'm not sure why. Busyness is sure part of it, but the other part I'm having difficulty defining. One may be the swirl of emotions I'm feeling that I can't put into words (and I'm never at a loss for words). The other is that when I began this blog I wanted it to be edgy and topical, but it has turned into a blah-blah-blah "look at my beautiful kid" blog. (Not that he isn't beautiful and completely blog-worthy -- he is!) But I want also want to discuss real issues related to adoption and mothering, but I don't trust my own voice on these issues sometimes. Do I know enough? Aren't others already doing this much better than I ever could? Some of the issues are too personal to my family, and though I think blogging about them would be helpful to others, I cannot expose my family's private life here.

So...while I work this out, I'll give you Spud updates.

Spud's progress and endearing qualities:
-He knows about 20 English words now.
-He has a regular nap schedule (Praise the Lord!)
-His eating is getting slightly better; he'll eat pizza and strawberries now!
-He loves jumping on our trampoline.
-He loves to mow the lawn with daddy. He'll sit on WMWM's lap for 40 minutes at a stretch.
-He has learned that markers are only for paper.
-he loves to wake up the big kids in the morning.
-He loves giving kisses, especially during meal times when his lips are covered with things I find personally disgusting (oatmeal, peas).
-He has a baby doll that he carries around very lovingly. He takes it for rides in his little stroller and his Cozy Coupe car. He snuggles it when he sleeps. He feeds it when he eats.
-He is enamored with his own belly and everyone else's. He will pat, squeeze and poke his own belly and ask you to expose yours so he can do the same.
-He often requests the books Peek-A-Boo, Please Puppy Please, and Water Water. But don't try to read him any other book -- not interested.

Less endearing qualities and trying moments:
-He'll turn on every toy he has that makes noise (and he has hundreds of them) then leave the room.
-At one point he didn't know that markers were just for paper.
-When I wasn't looking (stupid me) he got ahold of a bottle of nail polish and dropped it on the tile floor in the kitchen. Before I realized what was happening he had tracked it across the kitchen and was covered in a lovely shade of OPI's "I'm Not Really a Waitress."
-When he trips over something or bumps into something, he'll hit, kick and scold the offending object.
-When he gets pissed off, he hurls whatever is near across the room. If there is nothing close he'll go to the kitchen cabinets and hurl Tupperware, pots and pans. Then I'm pissed off. Then there's a war of the wills. Mommy wins (as far as you know).

Here are the latest pics. Peace.







5 comments:

gigglechirp said...

cute pics - beautiful family!

I hear ya re: bloggin' - I decided to let go of all expectations on that front

That's great re: pizza, etc!

Love the update - lots of good and real stuff (the real, yet trying will get better! it will it will!)

look forward to hopefully seein' ya soon!
J

Angela said...

SweetPea most definitely possesses some of those same winning traits. I am assuming it is learned behavior, but I can't tell from where... Possibly HOH, but at the Hilton one day, SweetPea smashed her finger in a bathroom door. A hotel staff woman walked in when I tried to console her, and I got the huge evil eye until SweetPea told her that she smashed her finger in the door. Then they both went to the stall door, yelled at it, smacked it, and spit at it. I particularly like the spitting part.

Erica said...

WAHOOO!! He looks SO great!!! He's got some chub, some awesome hair, way to go mama!!

I love the update, I know the feeling, and we need to chat soon. We're coming down off the crazy busy ness and the sickies.

LISA said...

Hey, glad to see your update!!
You always make life seem so "normal"!!! Your little guy sure has grown!

Noelle said...

Ermias looks wonderful! Beautiful pics. Its great to see him so happy.