Thursday, March 27, 2008

Salam!

I have lost track of the days here--it is easy to do!

Adopting friends, if you are packing right now for Ethiopia, go immediately to your suitcases and leave half of what you have packed at home. Seriously. You do not need all that stuff. We packed WAY TOO MUCH! Also, the thing I have been most grateful for is travel-size packs of tissues. There is no TP here in public places, and your child WILL have a runny nose that needs to be wiped constantly. And the nannies will expect YOU to wipe your child's nose ALL THE TIME. Do not be lax in this. I'm not kidding.

When you get here, do not be alarmed if your child is given orange soda at meals. I don't know about y'all, but my kids didn't get soda until they were in kindergarten, and then sparingly. I was shocked to see Spud enjoying pop at every meal. That will end soon enough.

Spud, by the way, is a serious boy as we were told. But yesterday Almaz, the HOH director's wife, had him belly laughing! It was so good to see. He was squealing with delight because she was being so silly. Of course, he will not crack a smile yet in my direction, but all in good time. The nannies chant "ma-ma, ma-ma, ma-ma," when I am near him. I don't tink this is helping. :)

My son, Tater, has been so wonderful. He is patient, and gracious, and brave. I know he is often bored but he does not let on. He has not complained once. He plays with all the children at the HOH. He misses his father terribly.

My top five things for traveling parents to know:

1. Like I said, pack sparingly, at least clothes-wise. We brought way too many clothes. It is warm this time of year--I have not needed one of my 3 jackets I brought yet--even in the evening.

2. It is very, very dusty here. I have had a bloody nose every day. I have eaten at least 20 lbs. of dirt. Of course with the dry weather, it is to be expected. Even though it is so dusty, the Ethiopian people are fastidious. They are always sweeping and cleaning. Our driver cleans our rented car several times a day even though it is a losing battle.

3. When you bring toys for the children at the HOH, hand out just one to each child at a time. The nannies do not like chaos and will frown upon a free-for-all. Everything must be done in an orderly fashion. I have learned my lesson.

4. Everyone told us before we left to avoid eating certain things. This is nearly impossible. When the cook puts lettuce or fresh vegetables in front of us, we eat it. Our stomachs have been okay so far (well, a little queasy, but nothing else--yet).

5. Be prepared when you are in a car for people to approach you. Be ready with money or chocolate if you are willing--I keep burying stuff in my backpack and can't find it when I need it. Our driver shakes his head. Also, they do not want you to give to the able-bodied children because it encourages begging behavior. Today a child offered to sell me a box of tissues. I gave him money, but told him to keep the tissues. This is a no-no. Take the tissues.

Oh, one more thing. Bring Lotramin--the ringworm is awful. Bring extra--all you can gather together as they desperately need it--a caseload if you can manage it.

Your are in our prayers.

Peace

9 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

It's so good to hear about your trip, and we're rejoicing that you're finally with your little boy!!

Annie said...

Getting chills just reading about all of this. SO SO HAPPY to hear that you are with Spud! I am sure that Spud will warm up soon. What a blessing Tater is :) Thank you for all that great advice! can't wait to read more of your journey....

The Soucys said...

So glad that things are going well! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Children's Hope International said...

What great tips!

Thanks for posting while you are in country. I know the internet is spotty!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tater your fishboy sends his best wishes..his mean old mom thinks and prays for you daily!

LISA said...

It's so good to hear from you.I love all your tips.I knew you wuld give us great advice! I'm looking forward to more.OOXX

Stacie said...

You're so great to give all this info to the waiting families!! We're thinking of you all!!

atHisrighthand said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful tips and stories! :)

looking forward to hearing more!
elise

Erica said...

So glad to hear from you!!!!!!!! Praying praying!!!!